By registering a child to play at the HSC: Nashville Youth Soccer Association, parents/legal guardians agree to abide by the following Parent's Code of Conduct:
Parent's Code of Conduct
As a parent/legal guardian of a child playing soccer at the HSC: Nashville Youth Soccer Association (HSC: NYSA), I therefore agree:
- I will not force my child to participate in a sports program and will make every effort to make my child’s participation at HSC: NYSA a positive experience. I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
- I will be a positive role model for my child and encourage good sportsmanship at all times. I agree to, and I will require my child to, show respect and courtesy, and demonstrate positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators (regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability) at every practice and game.
- I will respect the authority of the coach, referee(s), and officials during games and will never question, discuss, or confront a coach or referee during a game. Instead, I will take time to speak with the coach at an agreed upon time and place. I will not come out onto a field during a game unless instructed by a coach in the case of an injury to my child.
- I will not openly criticize or question a referee’s judgments or his/her honesty, nor will I yell at a referee during a game. I acknowledge that a number of the referees are young and learning how to officiate just as my child is learning to play soccer. I will quietly and calmly voice any issues, concerns, or comments to the Referee Assignor or to a Board Member.
- I will refrain from using abusive or profane language and will teach my child to do the same. I understand that profanity will not be tolerated at any time - this includes words and images printed on clothing. I further understand that players using profanity will be ejected from the game, and parents or spectators using profanity will be asked to leave the club complex.
- I will show respect for my child’s coach, his/her teammates, and others by making every effort to make sure that my child is on time for every practice and every game. I understand that this means being on the proper field and ready at the assigned time, and not merely being on club property or in the parking lot.
- I will endeavor to learn the rules of the game and the policies of the club so that I may better understand the game and support the referees in their enforcement of the rules.
- I will instruct my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence. I also pledge to support the coach, referee, and/or officials in regards to any disciplinary actions they may impose as a result of my child’s failure to follow the rules or for any acts of physical violence.
- I will take the role of cheerleader when my child is playing, and I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team. I understand that if I call out instructions to a child, I may be telling him/her to do the exact opposite of what the coach has told him/her to do, and this will only confuse and frustrate the players on the team.
- I will teach my child that soccer is a team sport, that every position on the field is an important one, and that the results of a game are not determined by the actions, performance, or abilities of just one player.
- I will teach my child that doing one's best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance. Furthermore, I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
- I agree to abide by all club rules and policies, and I understand that the club has the authority to enforce those rules and policies. By signing the registration form I understand and agree with this Code of Conduct as well as the rules and policies of HSC: NYSA. The signature of one parent, custodial parent or legal guardian shall be inclusive of any other parent, custodial parent or legal guardian of the minor.
- I acknowledge that the club is primarily administered by other parents, who volunteer their time, rather than paid professionals. With that in mind, I will commit to working at least one 1-hour block of service time during the season.